Today I’m showing you my favorite Swiss Meringue Buttercream frosting recipe. Enjoy!
Swiss Meringue Buttercream
This is a creamy, smooth and silky buttercream frosting that is less sweet than a typical American Buttercream frosting. If you like less sweet frostings(like me!), then this is the one for you! :p
- 10 egg whites
- 2.5 Cups granulated sugar
- 2.5 Cups (5 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
- 1 Tablespoon vanilla extract
- 2 Tsp lemon extract ((This is my personal fave, but try experimenting with your own favorite flavorings!))
- Whisk together egg whites and sugar in a heatproof bowl.
- Place the bowl over a pot with 1-2” of simmering water and continually whisk until the mixture reaches 160 degrees F with a candy thermometer.
- Pour egg mixture into the bowl of a stand mixer and begin whipping on medium and slowly bring it up to high speed. Continue whipping until the meringue has come down to room temperature and has stiff peaks. This could take around 7 – 10 minutes.
- Switch to the paddle attachment and slowly add the softened butter a tablespoon at a time. Be patient and continue mixing until the buttercream thickens and becomes smooth and creamy. Scrape down the sides of the bowl as needed.
- Beat in the flavorings.
- Use a wooden spoon or spatula to hand stir out any air bubbles.
*Make sure your bowls are completely clean and free of grease or egg yolks. One bit of yolk or grease and your whites will not whip up.
*If your mixture becomes soupy, try cooling it down in the refrigerator for a few minutes and then try re-whipping it.
*If you have reached a curdled stage, that means you are almost there!
*Don’t use butter that is too warm or melty. I like mine to be completely soft but still a little cool.
*I let this frosting sit out for a day but after that I will store it in the refrigerator for up to a week. When you bring it out of the refrigerator, let it sit out to come down to room temp and then re-whip it.
More Flavor Ideas
Cooled melted white or dark chocolate
Raspberry or Strawberry reduction
Peanut Butter or Nutella
Peppermint extract and crushed peppermint candy